Your baby is 4 months old! It’s playtime for you and your baby! When it’s playtime for your baby, you may get super excited to share all of the fun things that you and the baby can do together, but during their 4th month, take it easy. They can only take so much playtime in before they get too tired and overly excited, neither of which is a good thing cause they won’t go to sleep easily.
This month is also the time that other parents and parenting blogs give the advice to start introducing other foods into their diets, such as iron-fortified rice cereals and etc. My daughter hated the feeling and the texture of the rice cereals and so we skipped this entirely. But always talk with your pediatrician to see when they would recommend you and your wife to start introducing additional items into their diet.
Did you know this is also a time where your baby is going to have a lot of fun dropping anything they have on their hands onto the floor. If you haven’t already, you better hope that your back muscles are going to hold out for a long while! Remember to use the proper bending techniques to pick up these toys off the floor. An idea that I use is to bend with your knees, not your back.
Baby: “I Got It” – 4 Months Old (easier challenge milestones)
- Your baby can hold onto small baby toys,
- They will try to reach for stuff outside of their reach,
- Your baby LOVES to communicate,
- They love to drop stuff onto the floor, they are learning what is cause and effect.
- They can follow objects that move from side to side.
Baby: “I’m Awesome, You Know” – 4 Months Old (medium challenge milestones)
- Rolls over from front to back,
- Can do half a push-up,
- Your baby can sit up with support,
- They can hold up their heads for a period of time
- Mimicking facial expressions, such as smiling.
- Wants to mouth anything and everything that they can get their little hands on.
Baby: “Challenge Accepted” – 4 Months Old (hard challenge milestones)
- Rolling over from back to front,
- Smiles spontaneously at people,
- Really enjoying playtime, but may react negatively when playtime stops,
- Has an understanding of object permanence,
- Tries to mimic your speech with babbling or coo-ing,
- Your baby can sleep 6-8 hours overnight without waking up.
Every month, your baby has achieved certain milestones and beginning to hit some other milestones. Check out the Mr. Involved Baby Milestones series here.
- 1 Month Old – Baby Milestones
- 2 Months Old – Baby Milestones
- 3 Months Old – Baby Milestones
- 4 Months Old – Baby Milestones
- 5 Months Old – Baby Milestones
- 6 Months Old – Baby Milestones
- 7 Months Old – Baby Milestones
- 8 Months Old – Baby Milestones
- 9 Months Old – Baby Milestones
- 10 Months Old – Baby Milestones
- 11 Months Old – Baby Milestones
- 12 Months Old – Baby Milestones