Happy Birthday, Baby!
Your baby is now 1 year old! It has already been 365 days since your baby has been born and what a journey you and your baby has gone through over the past 12 months
As they are growing, these little baby have finally graduated to toddlerhood. They are in the next phase of their life. Dad, let’s hope you are ready for this change as well. Toddlerhood is an exciting time for the baby where they use their mobility to see and explore different aspects of the world around them.
If you haven’t started already, this is the perfect time to start to teach baby sign language to your baby. What is baby sign language? According to Wikipedia:
Baby sign language is the use of manual signing allowing infants and toddlers to communicate emotions, desires, and objects prior to spoken language development.Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_sign_language
When both my wife and I first heard about this from another family, it was mind-blowing how awesome it was. We saw it in action at how the baby was signing what she wanted. The baby was able to express what they wanted! No more frustration on trying to figure out what they wanted! Here is a screen capture of the signs that we taught my daughter and it made a huge difference in how we all communicate as a family.
Here’s a video that I found showing how to do some of the common baby sign languages.
Our lives, as parents, have definitely gotten easier and I would definitely recommend this to any parent out there.
Baby: “I Got It” – 12 Months Old (easier challenge milestones)
- Bangs two objects together
- Points at objects with fingers or hands
- Touches objects with index finger
- Takes objects out of a container
- Drops objects intentionally
- Enjoys play dates with other children
Baby: “I’m Awesome, You Know” – 12 Months Old (medium challenge milestones)
- Understands and may respond to “no”
- Is able to communicate through some baby sign languages
- Babbling with some different tones now.
- Puts objects into a container
- Uses different methods to interact with an object (throwing, dropping, passing between hands)
- Can walk a few steps with some assistance.
- Enjoys the process and even helps you get them dressed by extending their arms and legs.
Baby: “Challenge Accepted” – 12 Months Old (hard challenge milestones)
- Uses baby sign language to express themselves
- Walking unassisted
- Self-feeding cleanly
Every month, your baby has achieved certain milestones and beginning to hit some other milestones. Check out the Mr. Involved Baby Milestones series here.
- 1 Month Old – Baby Milestones
- 2 Months Old – Baby Milestones
- 3 Months Old – Baby Milestones
- 4 Months Old – Baby Milestones
- 5 Months Old – Baby Milestones
- 6 Months Old – Baby Milestones
- 7 Months Old – Baby Milestones
- 8 Months Old – Baby Milestones
- 9 Months Old – Baby Milestones
- 10 Months Old – Baby Milestones
- 11 Months Old – Baby Milestones
- 12 Months Old – Baby Milestones